First, follow our Full-day Itinerary to see everything The National WWII Museum has to offer. On your drive back to Houston, continue your exploration of World War II history with these incredible stops along the way.
- Walk aboard the USS KIDD Veterans Museum, the Fletcher-class destroyer that is now docked on the bank of the Mississippi River in Baton Rouge, less than 1 mile from I-10.
- Right across the street from the USS Kidd, browse the "Louisiana at War" exhibit at the Capitol Park Museum to find WWII artifacts, such as the uniform of General Claire Chennault, in Baton Rouge, about 2 miles from I-10.
- The Louisiana Military Museum hosts a variety of unique WWII items ranging from a Higgins boat that you can actually walk on, to a collection of military medals, in Abbeville, about 26 miles from I-10.
- The First USO & War Room Museum will remind you how important this organization was to the troops' R&R, because it is so nicely preserved. Also on display is a variety of WWII artillery in DeRidder, about 47 miles from I-10.
- Visit the one-of-a-kind Leatherwood Museum to see a complete flight suit, a Red Cross exhibit with a military stretcher, and even a bedpan collection, located in Oakdale, about 47 miles from I-10.
- Stop by Elton Veterans Memorial to see a WWII tank in Elton, about 20 miles from I-10.
USS KIDD and Capitol Park Museum have Military Discounts available. Louisiana Military Museum, First USO & War Room Museum, Leatherwood Museum, and Elton Veterans Memorial have free admission.
Please confirm that each venue is open prior to your trip.
It's a great time to explore Louisiana! Come feed your soul in Louisiana with a one-of-a-kind, close-to-home, far-from-ordinary road trip you'll never forget. Visit LouisianaIsATrip.com for even more itinerary options.