In 1939, our regular military numbered 334,473 personnel. At the end of the war in 1945, this number had swelled to 12,209,238. 39% were volunteers and the remaining 61% were draftees.
This presentation will follow the story of one of these citizen soldiers, Sgt. Charles Edward McGuckin, from his early life in Philadelphia to his induction into the Army and to his death in action while serving with the 4th Armored Division of Patton’s 3rd Army during the Lorraine campaign in November of 1944.
Information on the composition of the 4th Armored Division, including training, equipment, personnel, tactics, and battles will be covered in detail.
Sponsored by AARP Louisiana.