Go Behind The Lines at The National WWII Museum
Step inside the Museum vault and climb into a B-24 fuselage—it’s all part of Behind the Lines, the exclusive VIP tour of The National WWII Museum. During five hours of behind-the-scenes experiences, guests will handle rarely seen artifacts alongside historians and attend a curator's luncheon with the specialists who design Museum exhibits and programming. A second-day ticket is included, allowing tour members to explore every facet of the Museum’s public space at their leisure.
Offered only on Fridays (and Saturdays, seasonally) and limited to just 10 guests.
We reserve the right to cancel any tour with less than four guests confirmed. Participants scheduled on a tour date that is canceled will be notified the Monday prior to the scheduled tour and will be given a full refund.
9:00 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.
Guests are greeted by Museum staff and curator in the Louisiana Memorial Pavilion. Brief introductions and orientation to the Museum are provided.
9:15 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Tour members embark on a journey through the vault, where they will see artifacts not on exhibit and learn what it takes to preserve these priceless items. Uniforms, personal items, and other war-era memorabilia will be available for viewing and handling.
11:45 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
A lunch of delicious local cuisine is served in The American Sector Restaurant & Bar. The curator can answer any questions about World War II and give insight into what a curator's duties entail. An Education Department representative also joins lunch to provide additional commentary and transition the group to the afternoon tour. (Menu will be provided and selections are due before visit date.)
1:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Guests climb into the fuselage of the B-24D Liberator Over Exposed. The B-24 Liberator was a powerful symbol of US industrial might, with more than 18,000 produced by the war’s end. Flown in all theaters and entering the fray before America did through Lend-Lease with Great Britain, Liberators flew faster, higher, and farther than the older B-17, thanks to greater fuel capacity and an innovative low-drag wing design. Your exclusive experience in the forward fuselage will give you a unique vantage point of the young airmen who flew these in World War II.
1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Courage, Optimism, Sacrifice, Teamwork—The "C.O.S.T." of World War II. The tour of US Freedom Pavilion: The Boeing Center, led by Education Department staff, focuses on four aspects of how the war was won. Guests will also take a look at the aircraft, vehicles, and other macro-artifacts in this pavilion, learn some details of the Museum’s acquisition of these priceless objects, and gain insight on how they were restored and made suitable for display.
Beyond All Boundaries
4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Tour members enjoy free time to explore the Museum campus, exhibits, and special attractions on their own.
*Second-day pass can be used before or after your Behind the Lines tour date.
- Vault tour with a curator
- B-24 Liberator tour with a curator
- Lunch with a curator and Education Department staffer (tip and tax included)
- Courage, Optimism, Sacrifice, Teamwork—The "C.O.S.T." of World War II, a guided tour of US Freedom Pavilion: The Boeing Center
- A second-day pass to visit the Museum the day before or after the Behind the Lines tour
- A ticket to a viewing of Beyond All Boundaries.
- A ticket to experience Final Mission: USS Tang Submarine Experience.
- Accommodations are not included.
- Transportation to and from the Museum on the day of the program is not included.
This was my first visit to The National WWII Museum, and the Behind the Lines Tour was the perfect way to see it all.
Lois, Miami, Florida
The Museum now offers an exclusive group tour of the Campaigns of Courage Pavilion. This exclusive, small-group experience offers an official Museum guide taking your group through the chronological narrative of each theater of combat, bringing to life the drama, sacrifices, personal stories, and strategies of America's campaign to defeat the Axis powers and preserve freedom. Your guide will also highlight several artifacts, displays, and exhibits during the tour, which explores how US citizen soldiers and their Allies secured victory in the 20th century’s titanic struggle—a fight for civilization itself.
- Available for groups with 8–15 participants*
- Offered twice daily at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday (excludes holidays, special events, and the months of March and April)
- Length: 1½ – 2 hours
- One-time fee of $150.00 per tour plus group Museum admission
- Advanced reservations and payment are required—please confirm your group guided tour at least one week prior to your preferred visit date
*Note: If group size is less than eight participants, group would pay tour fee plus purchase a minimum of eight museum tickets. For groups of up to 30 guests, two tours may be contracted at the same time for $300.00, subject to availability.
- Starting at just $299 per person (nonmember) or $274 per person (member).
- Add BB's Stage Door Canteen dinner and show for discounted rate of $59.99 plus tax per person!
NOTE: For the month of September, as part of Louisiana Resident Discount Month, in-state guests will also receive 50% off Behind the Lines tours! Call 504-528-1944 x 402 to book this incredible behind the scenes tour at The National WWII Museum.